Management Monday – problem solving
This weeks management Monday post comes from Emma John:
There are so many ways to work as a team to solve a variety of issues within the dental environment
Lets look at my favourite…brainstorming which I think is great for team building as well as to solve the all important problem
Brainstorming with a group of people is a powerful technique. Brainstorming creates new ideas, solves problems, motivates and develops teams. Brainstorming motivates because it involves members of a team in bigger management issues, and it gets a team working together. Brainstorming needs to be structured and it follows some basic rules.
To brain storm initially you will need a flip-chart or something similar . This is important as Brainstorming needs to involve the team, which means that everyone must be able to see what’s happening.
- Define and agree the objective, everyone needs to understand the aim of the session
- Brainstorm ideas and suggestions having agreed a time limit beforehand as this will keep you on track
- Categorise ideas as individuals will come up with random ideas which may be able to be linked as the session continues
- Discuss and evaluate the ideas and results
- Prioritise all the options
- Agree upon an action plan and all important timescales and individual responsibilities
- Keep your team motivated by monitoring the action plan and giving feedback
I often find myself adopting the brainstorming process with my own team and those I teach as if done correctly you can involve everyone which frequently raises the level of moral, which is so vital.